Around 6 months ago, on a Disney Pinterest binge, I spotted a pair of Little Mermaid shoes I simply had to have. The problem? The cheapest pair was $80. So, like any broke college kid with an inflated sense of craftiness, I decided to make my own and share the process with you. If you’re not a Disney fan, no sweat. You could easily turn these into Star Wars, super hero, or Super Mario shoes (you can also do other unsuper things, as well.) Really, the options are limitless. There’s only 8 steps between you and a pair of whimsical kicks, so what are you waiting for?
White canvas shoes
- Acrylic paints
- Black Sharpie (optional colored)
- Scotch Guard protective spray
1. Buy a pair of white canvas shoes. If you’re working on a budget, I suggest the $17.99 knock-off Vans from Payless. (click to view)
2. Browse coloring books or online pages for the design/character(s) you want. Once you have them, cut your designs out and make sure they fit on the shoe. Arrange them as you will paint them.
3. Using a wooden pencil trace the outline of your character onto the shoe. When you finish outlining, draw the inside lines, such as facial features and clothes. If you’re a truly unartistic person, you may want to phone a friend for this step.
4. Bust out the paints! You will want to use acrylic paints, which you can buy at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby. For small details like facial features, it’s easier to use colored Sharpies.
5. Let the shoes dry for at least 12 hours.
6. Go back with a black Sharpie or paint pen and outline all of your pencil lines to sharpen up the image.
7. If you want to do any extra paint effects, like shading, add these now after everything is outlined and dried.
8. Coat your shoes with Scotch Guard to protect them from dirt. Just like spray paint, stand about 10 feet away and spray your shoes thoroughly with two solid coats.
Voila! Congratulations, friend. You now have your very own pair of Disney shoes!
P.S. Have you followed my blog yet? Click “follow” on the sidebar to the left to get notifications on new posts!