The other day, I had an insatiable craving that could only be cured with the decadent glory of a Chili’s molten lava cake. However, instead of rushing off to my nearest Chili’s, I decided to undergo a baking challenge and replicate my own. By making a few tweaks to this overly-complicated Food Network recipe, I was able to bake 6 miniature molten cakes for under $15. Not bad, right?
Trust me, you’re going to want to try this one for yourself.
6 tbs. butter
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking power
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbs. milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
8 ounces milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tbs. butter
1 tbs. light corn syrup
Directions for Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a little melted butter to coat a jumbo-size mufin pan, then dust with cocoa powder. Shake off any excess.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and water together over medium heat and set aside.
5. Combine the vegetable oil, butter, and sugar in a separate bowl. Beat with electric mixer until blended.
6. Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and eggs to the vegetable oil mixture, using the mixer to blend for one minute between each added ingredient.
7. With the mixer on low, gradually add in the dry mixture and heated milk/water.
8. Evenly distribute the batter among the jumbo muffin pan, filling each mold three-quarters of the way.
9. Bake until the tops of the cakes have domed, roughly 25 to 30 minutes.
10. Remove from oven when done and let cool for 30 minutes.
Directions for Lava Filling
1. Combine chocolate chips, light corn syrup, butter, and cream in a large microwavable bowl.
2. Microwave on high for thirty seconds, then stop to stir the mixture.
3. Repeat step 2 until all of the chocolate has melted.
4. Transfer into air-tight container for storing, and lick the bowl clean.
1. Using the end of a hand-held slicer, cut a small, circular hole through the middle of each cake. Save the scraps for midnight snacking.
2. Wrap each individual cake in Seran wrap and microwave for 30 seconds to reheat.
3. Spoon the lava filling inside the center of the cake until it spills over the top.
4. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra satisfaction, and drizzle with caramel if desired.
5. Enjoy your glorious creation!